Grant Writing, Marketing Communications and Development Services
Lydia Howie is a seasoned guest speaker on grant writing and marketing. Some topics she can speak on include:
* The Basics of Grant Writing (writing a foundation proposal)
* Grant Writing Strategies for Success (enhancing your proposal copy)
* Grant researching (including grant sources)
* Grant vetting
* Maximizing your options with online applications
* Starting your own consulting business
* And more
UPCOMING SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT
ASSOCIATION OF NEW YORK STATE YOUTH BUREAUS 48TH ANNUAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT TRAINING CONFERENCE
Grant Writing Strategies for Success
Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 3:30-4:45pm
Hilton Doubletree, Tarrytown, NY
Workshop will present an arsenal of tips that will increase your likelihood of obtaining grant funds.
• Writing strategies for success (e.g. writing to express not impress, concise writing, inflated words/technical language, use of your first choice words and funder’s “buzz words,” active voice verbs, use of power words).
• Tips to make your proposals physically readable (e.g. use of white space, headings, bullets, page numbers).
• How to make your grant “stand out” (e.g. use of photos, charts, success stories, quotes).
• Using your addendums to “sell” your agency and program/project.
• The importance of a solid evaluation plan.
For ticket information, visit: http://anysyb.net/training/
GRANT PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION 2018 ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Pet Peeves of Funders
Friday, November 9, 2018, 3:45-5:00pm
Swissotel in Chicaco, IL
This presentation will feature the results of a survey the presenter did with a cross section of corporate, private, community and family foundations who were willing to share their experiences and insights on the grant giving process.
What will be shared will be a list of NEVERS such as:
-NEVER call with questions that are already answered on their website.
-NEVER ask for an amount outside of their giving range.
-NEVER submit a proposal with another funder’s name in the copy.
-NEVER answer the sustainability question with “We will submit more grant proposals.”
-NEVER be pushy the first time we meet.
More important, the presenter will emphasis the key lessons to learn from each NEVER.
Funders were asked about their “pet peeves” regarding a variety of topics including submissions, ask amounts, relationship building, sustainability, post award, stewardship, and more.
While this presentation will give you an occasional chuckle, the key takeaways are serious. Attendees will learn proper funder-awardee protocol that will improve your grant success and retention rates. Gain a unique insight into what funders think, what constitutes a good funder-awardee relationship, and tips that will increase your likelihood of being funded and maintaining funding.
For ticket information: https://www.grantprofessionals.org/conference
"I find it's infrequent that a basic how to research/vet grants class/webinar has enough detail in it to teach me something substantive. Most are too general, broad, and basic. But this webinar was outstanding. The presenter was generous with her knowledge and has such in-depth knowledge to teach seasoned grant professionals some tricks of the trade. Even with my experience, I learned something. I like that! I have recommended it to our local Indy chapter to let our members know about it so they can register for it."
"The presenter was dynamic and kept my attention . Thank you!"
"Lydia...wow...this PP is packed with great information. So kind and gracious of you to share it with us. Thank you." Lori
"Lydia, Very nice GPA presentation! The assistant in our Financial Development office is excited to start helping me with grant research, and this webinar is a great resource." Tiffany
Some recent speaking engagements include:
* Grant Seeking: Finding Me the Money - Westchester County Youth Bureau - September 2018
* Grant Seeking: Finding Me the Money - NYS Assemblywoman Ellen Jaffee (District 97)'s Grants Opportunity Workshop - May 2018
* Maximizing Foundation, Corporate and Government Support in a Changing Landscape - United Way of Westchester and Putnam - May 2018
* Grant Writing 101: The Basics of Writing a Grant Submission and Grant Writing 102: Grant Writing Strategies for Success - Grant Profession Association's Capital District Chapter - April 2018
* Vetting for Success: Grant Seeking Skills - Grant Professional Association webinar - March 2018 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLku_OpMsSs
* Vetting for Success: Grant Seeking Skills - Grant Professional Association's 2017 Conference - November 2017
* Grant Seeking: Find Me the Money - Mahopac Chamber of Commerce's Nonprofit Symposium on Grants - March, 2017
* Grant Seeking: Find Me the Money - Association of Development Officers & Grant Professionals of Lower Hudson's Monthy Workshop - January 2017
* Sub-contracting: From A to Z - Grant Professional Association's 2016 Conference - November 2016
* Grant Consultants: Subcontractors - Grant Professionals Association NJ Chapter's 2016 Mid Atlantic Fall Grants Symposium - October 2016
* Grant Seeking: Show Me the Money - New York State Recreation and Park Society"s 2015 Downstate Conference
* Don't Fit a Size 10 Foot Into a Size 5 Shoe: How to Avoid Mission Drift and Apply for Appropriate Funding Opportunities - United Way of Westchester and Putnam and Westchester Community Foundation's 2015 Summit
* Get Smart About Writing Grants - Center for Educational Leadership and the Hudson River Teacher's Center at Putnam BOCES
* Grant Seeking Resources - Grant Professionals of Lower Hudson
* Everything you Needed to Know About Registering with the NYS Charities Bureau and GPC (Grant Professionals Certification) - Grant Professionals of Lower Hudson
Teaching assignments have included:
* Adjunct Professor, Pace University - Taught undergraduate classes in advertising, public relations and direct mail.
* Lecturer, Association of Development Officers and SUNY Purchase's Fundraising and Board Development Certificate Program - Taught grant writing and grants research.